Join Us for Presentations at the APA 2018 Convention in San Francisco!
We will be holding the following events
Join us in the APA Publishing Booth (#708) at the 2018 APA Annual Convention in San Francisco to learn how APA Publishing helps you at every stage of your education and career. Tell us about yourself to receive a $10 voucher for the APA Bookstore, and enter to win one of three $200 Visa® gift cards!
Enjoy coffee each day from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. and California craft beers and wine from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. at the JARS BAR in booth #708. Attend a presentation to learn what’s new in:
Thursday, August 9
11:00 a.m. Magination Press® – Learn what’s new in our growing family of children’s books!
4:00 p.m. APA Style Journal Article Reporting Standards (JARS)
Friday, August 10
11:00 a.m. What’s New with APA Databases
4:00 p.m. Teaching with APA Style CENTRAL®
Saturday, August 11
11:00 a.m. New Features and Functionality for APA Style CENTRAL
4:00 p.m. Gift card winners announced*
Ask an APA Style® Expert
Join us between 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. each day to chat with an APA Style expert: Get answers to your questions, share your feedback, and learn more about APA Style resources.
We look forward to seeing you!
*Winners need not be present to win.
Welcome to “From the Deck of . . .” an irregular series in which we highlight search demos and other information from the slide decks we create for our live training sessions. You can view and download these materials from the PsycINFO SlideShare account.
At the ALA Annual meeting last month, we presented a Lunch & Learn training session covering a wide variety of updates to APA’s publishing program:
- New Handbooks from APA
- New Online Dictionary of Psychology
- APA Librarian Travel Award Recipients
- Magination Press Overview
- APA Style JARS
- What’s New With APA Style CENTRAL
We also spent some time providing thoughts on integrating PsycINFO into a systematic review including:
- Reasons to add PsycINFO to your systematic review searching
- Aligning APA thesaurus terms to your MeSH-based search strategy
- Practical PsycINFO search tips for systematic reviews
- Issues for reporting and replicability
In April, APA added 2 new titles to PsycBOOKS®
In May, APA added 6 new titles to PsycBOOKS® , including one Handbook.
- APA Handbook of Dementia, ©2018, by Glenn E. Smith. ISBN: 9781433828799
- Feminist Therapy, ©2018, by Laura S. Brown. ISBN: 9781433829116
- Gender Affirmative Model, ©2018, by Colt Keo-Meier and Diane Ehrensaft. ISBN: 9781433829123
- Grammar of Power in Psychotherapy, ©2018, by Malin Fors. ISBN: 9781433829154
- Interpersonal Reconstructive Therapy for Anger, Anxiety, and Depression, ©2018, by Lorna Smith Benjamin. ISBN: 9781433828904
- Sleepwalking, Criminal Behavior, and Reliable Scientific Evidence, ©2018, by Mark R. Pressman. ISBN: 9781433829192
In June, APA added 5 new titles to PsycBOOKS®
- Cognition and Behavior in Multiple Sclerosis, ©2018, by John DeLuca and Brian M. Sandroff. ISBN: 9781433829321
- Developing the Therapeutic Relationship, ©2018, by Orya Tishby and Hadas Wiseman. ISBN: 9781433829222
- Learning Interventions for Consultants, ©2018, by Manuel London and Thomas Diamante. ISBN: 9781433829253
- Mutual Radicalization, ©2018, by Fathali M. Moghaddam. ISBN: 9781433829239
- Treating Depression, Anxiety, and Stress in Ethnic and Racial Groups, ©2018, by Edward C. Chang, Christina A. Downey, Jameson K. Hirsch and Elisabeth A. Yu. ISBN: 9781433829215
Bibliographic records are available through your PsycBOOKS vendor. You may also download RDA records directly from APA by following the instructions in the APA PsycNET® Administrator Help Menu.
View the past monthly PsycBOOKS update lists, a list of sample PsycBOOKS titles, and the full coverage list for PsycBOOKS.
The APA Handbooks in Psychology series was launched in 2011 to provide comprehensive overviews and in-depth study of specific subfields within psychology. All 28 of the Handbooks are included in the PsycBOOKS® database, and titles are also available individually.
The most recent addition to this series is the APA Handbook of Dementia, edited by Glenn E. Smith and published in May 2018.
This handbook addresses assessment, comorbidity, evaluation, and treatment of various forms of dementia, and reviews common dementias including Alzheimer’s disease, Lewy body disease, vascular dementia, frontotemporal dementia, and other less common dementias. It is organized into sections discussing diagnosis, epidemiology, and neurobiology (including neuropathology and neuroimaging); assessment, including cultural issues, methodology, and neuropsychology; and primary, secondary, and tertiary intervention strategies.
The handbook is intended as a resource for all psychologists and other health professionals that serve persons and families impacted by neurodegenerative disease.
PsycINFO® records have several date fields that provide information about the creation of the scholarly work and information about the creation of the PsycINFO record in the APA database. In this post, we’ll explain what these different dates mean and how you can use them in your search.
What do all these different dates mean?
The Publication Date is the date that the journal article or book chapter was delivered or made available to customers or subscribers. For journal articles, you may also see Publication History dates – First Submitted, Accepted, and First Posting.
The Release Date is the date that the record was added to the PsycINFO database. You may also see a Correction Date in some records that were updated after the release date.Usually, the publication date is only a few weeks before the release date on PsycINFO. But sometimes, material published at an earlier date, such as older issues of a journal, will be added to PsycINFO. In the example below, you see a journal article that was published in 1987 but released on PsycINFO in 2018.