Welcome to “From the Deck of . . .” an irregular series in which we highlight search demos and other information from the slide decks we create for our live training sessions. You can view and download these materials from our SlideShare account.
We recently presented our Lunch & Learn training session at the American Library Association Annual Conference & Exhibition. One of the items we covered in this session was a review of working with cited references in PsycINFO® on all of the major vendor platforms: APA PsycNET®, EBSCOhost, Ovid, and ProQuest.
Being able to successfully navigate cited references data allows you to identify where a particular piece of research fits into the larger research continuum. You can see what led to that research, and how it influenced the research that followed. It’s also a great way to help a student who’s brainstorming dissertation topics, or a researcher looking for a new area to explore. Continue reading
The most recent recipient of the APA Librarian Conference Travel Award, Callie Wiygul Branstiter from the University of Southern California – Los Angeles, used the award to defray the cost of attendance at the American Library Association Annual Conference & Exhibition in June. Alison Cody, a Training Specialist in APA’s Databases & Electronic Resources Customer Relations group, recently talked with her to get her impressions of the conference. The following transcript of our conversation has been lightly edited for clarity and context.
Our Lunch & Learn at the American Library Association Annual Conference took place on Monday. The session covered:
- An update on new fields coming to PsycINFO® this summer
- A brief review of our Topic Guides, which were recently translated into 8 languages
- Updates on PsycTHERAPY®
- New publications from APA
- A review of cited references, including a cross-platform comparison
- A brief overview of APA Style CENTRAL®, launching in July
- A review of training and support materials
The presentation included several search demos:
- APA PsycNET: PsycTHERAPY overview
- A cross-platform comparison looking at how cited references are presented in PsycINFO on APA PsycNET, EBSCOhost, Ovid, and ProQuest
- APA Style CENTRAL overview
The slides from this presentation are now available on our Slideshare account. We recommend downloading the slides and viewing them in PowerPoint, as the presenter notes area includes additional information for each slide.
The American Library Association Annual Conference & Exhibition will be held at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL, from June 23-28, 2016. Look for representatives from the American Psychological Association in the exhibit hall, at booth 1743. Stop by to learn more about APA Style CENTRAL®, an exciting new electronic resource for APA Style® that’s launching this summer, and get the latest updates about APA Journals, Books, and Databases.
- Friday, June 24: 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. (Opening Reception)
- Saturday, June 25: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (APA Style CENTRAL Reception at 3:30 p.m.)
- Sunday, June 26: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, June 27: 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Special Events & Training Sessions:
In addition, APA will be hosting several special events and training sessions during the conference:
The American Library Association Annual Conference & Exhibition will be held at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL, from June 23-28, 2016. APA will be exhibiting at booth 1743, and Training Specialists are offering two sessions: An Introduction to APA Style CENTRAL™ on Sunday, and our usual APA Lunch & Learn on Monday. Continue reading