If you’re a student, educator, instructor, or researcher using APA Style CENTRAL, we invite you to watch a video tour of 15 APA Style CENTRAL updates to learn about recent additions designed to facilitate your work and save you time.
This 45-minute webinar recording includes demonstrations five major updates released this past spring, including:
We also highlight 10 additional enhancements to the Learning, Research, and Writing Centers that we’ve made since APA Style CENTRAL launched in July 2016:
- Improved Spell Check
- Importing tables from Microsoft Word
- Verify Information tool for importing references and tables
- Tutorial sections in the Learning Center
- Transcripts of Quick Guides and Tutorials
- Importing references from RIS files into My References
- Adding reference books in the Research Center to My References
- Viewing reference types and sorting by Reference Type
- Adding searchable notes to any saved reference
- Exporting References from APA Style CENTRAL
New features and improvements in APA Style CENTRAL are often rooted in user feedback, and the product development team carefully considers any change suggested by our customers. Please let us know what you think of APA Style CENTRAL or if you have an idea for an enhancement that would help you!
Join Us for Presentations at the APA 2018 Convention in San Francisco!
We will be holding the following events
Join us in the APA Publishing Booth (#708) at the 2018 APA Annual Convention in San Francisco to learn how APA Publishing helps you at every stage of your education and career. Tell us about yourself to receive a $10 voucher for the APA Bookstore, and enter to win one of three $200 Visa® gift cards!
Enjoy coffee each day from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. and California craft beers and wine from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. at the JARS BAR in booth #708. Attend a presentation to learn what’s new in:
Thursday, August 9
11:00 a.m. Magination Press® – Learn what’s new in our growing family of children’s books!
4:00 p.m. APA Style Journal Article Reporting Standards (JARS)
Friday, August 10
11:00 a.m. What’s New with APA Databases
4:00 p.m. Teaching with APA Style CENTRAL®
Saturday, August 11
11:00 a.m. New Features and Functionality for APA Style CENTRAL
4:00 p.m. Gift card winners announced*
Ask an APA Style® Expert
Join us between 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. each day to chat with an APA Style expert: Get answers to your questions, share your feedback, and learn more about APA Style resources.
We look forward to seeing you!
*Winners need not be present to win.
Welcome to “From the Deck of . . .” an irregular series in which we highlight search demos and other information from the slide decks we create for our live training sessions. You can view and download these materials from the PsycINFO SlideShare account.
At the ALA Annual meeting last month, we presented a Lunch & Learn training session covering a wide variety of updates to APA’s publishing program:
- New Handbooks from APA
- New Online Dictionary of Psychology
- APA Librarian Travel Award Recipients
- Magination Press Overview
- APA Style JARS
- What’s New With APA Style CENTRAL
We also spent some time providing thoughts on integrating PsycINFO into a systematic review including:
- Reasons to add PsycINFO to your systematic review searching
- Aligning APA thesaurus terms to your MeSH-based search strategy
- Practical PsycINFO search tips for systematic reviews
- Issues for reporting and replicability
Do you need to create an APA Style® reference list for sharing with your journal club, collaborating with a colleague, or preparing a course assignment? APA Style CENTRAL® can help with that!
How to export a paper’s reference list formatted in APA Style as a Microsoft Word file:
1. At the top of the screen, expand the My File Cabinet menu and select My Papers to view your list of saved papers. Open the file containing the reference list you want to export.
2. In the left navigation menu of the paper editing screen, use the arrow to expand the EXPORT menu and select Download.
3. Under the Download Paper heading, select Word (*.docx, selected by default) or PDF as the file type.
4. Use the Download Paper button to export the file.
5. The exported file will be saved in your browser’s default Downloads folder (or the location specified when saving the file).
Tip: To obtain a reference list for an annotated bibliography, begin a new paper by entering a title and then use the Add References button to immediately begin creating your reference list (see screenshot below). When you’ve finished adding references, use the steps above to export the paper as a Word file and continue working in Word to insert your annotation for each reference.
This expert tip was inspired by a question from a user like you! Have a question of your own?
Please let us know at Support@APAStyleCENTRAL.org.
There’s still time to get your application package together!
Do you work in an academic or health sciences library in the United States? Are you an early- or mid-career librarian? Are you looking for sources of funding for a conference you’d like to attend this fall?
If the answer to all of those questions is yes, please consider applying for an APA Librarian Conference Travel Award! Through July 31, 2018, we are accepting applications for conferences taking place from September – December 2018. This includes – but is not limited to – the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, the Charleston Library Conference, and Internet Librarian International, the Joint Conference of Librarians of Color, Library Marketing & Communications Conference, and the Library Assessment Conference.
The award is intended to help defray conference-related expenses for librarians with less than 15 years of experience after receiving their MLS/MLIS. One cash award is distributed three times each calendar year, and the application cycle opens and closes on a rolling basis. At this time, we are not limiting the conferences that are eligible for travel award funding. Applicants should identify the conference that best meets their professional needs and explain how attendance will support their current duties and future goals.