Three new titles and two companion series of e-books are now available through your institution’s library as part of your APA PsycBooks subscription.
Recent additions cover topics including group psychology and insights into the behaviors of different types of groups in different types of situations; sexual evolution and theories referencing the work of Charles Darwin; and guidance for administrators and faculty for measuring, improving, and assessing student performance goals.
Two book series covering supervision topics and theoretical underpinnings of various therapeutic approaches were also recently added to APA PsycBooks.Continue reading
APA added 41 new titles to PsycBOOKS® in 2019, grouped by release month below.
- Consulting Psychology in National Security Organizations, ©2019, by Laurie B. Moret and Carroll H. Greene, III. ISBN: 9781433830051
- APA Handbook of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Volume 1, ©2019, edited by Mark H. Anshel. ISBN: 9781433830402
- APA Handbook of Sport and Exercise Psychology: Volume 2, ©2019, edited by Mark H. Anshel. ISBN: 9781433830419
- Narrative Therapy, Second Edition, ©2019, by Stephen Madigan. ISBN: 9781433829864
- Secrets and Lies in Psychotherapy, ©2019, by Barry A. Farber, Matt Blanchard, and Melanie Love. ISBN: 9781433830525
- Behavioral Interventions in Schools: Evidence-Based Positive Strategies, Second Edition, ©2019, by Steven G. Little and Angeleque Akin-Little. ISBN: 9781433830143
- Cognitive Dissonance: Reexamining a Pivotal Theory in Psychology, Second Edition, ©2019, by Eddie Harmon-Jones. ISBN: 9781433830105
- Deepening Group Psychotherapy With Men: Stories and Insights for the Journey, ©2019, by Frederic E. Rabinowitz. ISBN: 9781433829444
- How the Body Shapes Knowledge: Empirical Support for Embodied Cognition, ©2019, by Rebecca Fincher-Kiefer. ISBN: 9781433829604
- Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, Second Edition, ©2019, by Albert Ellis and Debbie Joffe Ellis. ISBN: 9781433830327
- Working With Emotion in Psychodynamic, Cognitive Behavior, and Emotion-Focused Psychotherapy, ©2019, by Leslie S. Greenberg, Norka T. Malberg, and Michael A. Tompkins. ISBN: 9781433830341
- APA Handbook of Psychopharmacology, ©2019, edited by Suzette M. Evans. ISBN: 9781433830754
- Integrating Multiculturalism and Intersectionality Into the Psychology Curriculum: Strategies for Instructors, ©2019, by Jasmine A. Mena and Kathryn Quina. ISBN: 9781433830075
- Positive Psychological Assessment: A Handbook of Models and Measures, Second Edition, ©2019, by Matthew W. Gallagher and Shane J. Lopez. ISBN: 9781433830020
- Written Exposure Therapy for PTSD: A Brief Treatment Approach for Mental Health Professionals, ©2019, by Denise M. Sloan and Brian P. Marx. ISBN: 9781433830129
- Forensic Psychology in Military Courts, ©2019, by Christopher T. Stein and Jeffrey N. Younggren. ISBN: 9781433830358
- Handbook of Rehabilitation Psychology, Third Edition, ©2019, by Lisa A. Brenner, Stephanie A. Reid-Arndt, Timothy R. Elliott, Robert G. Frank, and Bruce Caplan. ISBN: 9781433829857
- Multicultural Feminist Therapy: Helping Adolescent Girls of Color to Thrive, ©2019, edited by Thema Bryant-Davis. ISBN: 9781433830679
- Threat to Democracy: The Appeal of Authoritarianism in an Age of Uncertainty, ©2019, by Fathali M. Moghaddam. ISBN: 9781433830709
- The Aging Brain: Functional Adaptation Across Adulthood, ©2019, by Gregory R. Samanez-Larkin. ISBN: 9781433830532
- Forgiveness and Letting Go in Emotion-Focused Therapy, ©2019, by Leslie S. Greenberg and Catalina Woldarsky Meneses. ISBN: 9781433830570
- Integrative Couple and Family Therapies: Treatment Models for Complex Clinical Issues, ©2019, edited by Patricia J. Pitta and Corinne C. Datchi. ISBN: 9781433830587
- Total Worker Health, ©2019, edited by Heidi L. Hudson, Jeannie A. S. Nigam, Steven L. Sauter, L. Casey Chosewood, Anita L. Schill, and John Howard. ISBN: 9781433830259
- Transnational Psychology of Women: Expanding International and Intersectional Approaches, ©2019, edited by Lynn H. Collins, Sayaka Machizawa, and Joy K. Rice. ISBN: 9781433830693
- Assessment and Treatment of Older Adults: A Guide for Mental Health Professionals, ©2019, by Gregory A. Hinrichsen. ISBN: 9781433831102
- Becoming a Psychology Professor: Your Guide to Landing the Right Academic Job, ©2019, by Guy A. Boysen. ISBN: 9781433830600
- Helping Skills: Facilitating Exploration, Insight, and Action, Fourth Edition, ©2019, by Clara E. Hill. ISBN: 9781433816789
- Suicide Prevention: An Ethically and Scientifically Informed Approach, ©2019, by Samuel J. Knapp. ISBN: 9781433830808
- Clinical Handbook of Fear and Anxiety: Maintenance Processes and Treatment Mechanisms, ©2019, by Jonathan Abramowitz and Shannon M Blakey. ISBN: 9781433830655
- Mindfulness-Based Interventions for Trauma and Its Consequences, ©2019, by David J. Kearney and Tracy L. Simpson. ISBN: 9781433830617
- Promoting Mind-Body Health in Schools: Interventions for Mental Health Professionals, ©2019, by Cheryl Maykel and Melissa A. Bray. ISBN: 9781433830549
- Consultation in Psychology: A Competency-Based Approach, ©2019, by Carol A. Falender and Edward P. Shafranske. ISBN: 9781433830907
- LGBTQ Mental Health: International Perspectives and Experiences, ©2019, edited by Nadine Nakamura and Carmen H. Logie. ISBN: 9781433830914
- Psychological Treatment of Medical Patients Struggling With Harmful Substance Use, ©2019, by Julie A. Schumacher and Daniel C. Williams. ISBN: 9781433830785
- Ending the Physical Punishment of Children: A Guide for Clinicians and Practitioners, ©2019, by Elizabeth T. Gershoff and Shawna J. Lee. ISBN: 9781433831140
- Mental Health Practice With Immigrant and Refugee Youth: A Socioecological Framework, ©2019, by B. Heidi Ellis, Saida M. Abdi, and Jeffrey P. Winer. ISBN: 9781433831492
- Mindfulness-Based Practices in Therapy: A Cultural Humility Approach, ©2019, by Don Davis, Cirleen DeBlaere, Joshua N. Hook, and Jesse Owen. ISBN: 9781433831478
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy for OCD in Youth: A Step-by-Step Guide, ©2019, by Michael A. Tompkins, Daniela J. Owen, Nicole H. Shiloff, and Litsa R. Tanner. ISBN: 9781433831850
- Emotion-Focused Family Therapy: A Transdiagnostic Model for Caregiver-Focused Interventions, ©2019, by Adele Lafrance, Katherine A. Henderson, and Shari Mayman. ISBN: 9781433830853
- Psychology of Prejudice: From Attitudes to Social Action, Second Edition, ©2019, by Lynne M. Jackson. ISBN: 9781433831485
- Rethinking Adult ADHD: Helping Clients Turn Intentions Into Actions, ©2019, by J. Russell Ramsay. ISBN: 9781433831508
Bibliographic records are available through your PsycBOOKS vendor. You may also download RDA records directly from APA by following the instructions in the APA PsycNET® Administrator Help Menu.
We recently released an update to the Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms. The Thesaurus provides precise and consistent terminology for searching all APA research databases. We added 305 new “preferred” Index Terms and approximately 70 new non-postable or “use” references*.
Each item in the APA databases – journal articles, books and book chapters, dissertations, and more – is represented by a record that is indexed, or tagged, with Index Terms from the Thesaurus. The use of a controlled vocabulary allows someone searching a database to quickly find all items about a specific concept — such as Animal Behavior, Marginalized Groups, or Prescription Drug Misuse — no matter what terminology or keywords the authors used.
Reflecting emerging areas, technologies, and social issues as well as changing nomenclature, this updated vocabulary will provide users with more targeted and efficient search and discovery. Additionally, we added new terminology in the expanding areas of psychological assessment, psychometrics, and research methods. You can view more details on our web page, What’s New in the 2019 Update, including a link to the full list of new and updated Index Terms (PDF, 135KB).Continue reading
The APA Handbooks in Psychology series was launched in 2011 to provide comprehensive overviews and in-depth study of specific subfields within
psychology. All of the Handbooks are included in the PsycBOOKS® database, and titles are also available individually.
The series currently contains 30 authoritative titles, including the 2014 CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title, APA Handbook of Sexuality and Psychology.
The most recent addition to this series is the APA Handbook of Contemporary Family Psychology, edited by Barbara H. Fiese and published in December 2018.
This Handbook lays a solid foundation for integrating theory, research, practice, and policy in contemporary family psychology. The vast scope of the handbook argues that family psychology has evolved to have a major impact not only on the practice of psychology, but also on how researchers in the field investigate the complexities of the human condition.
The handbook is composed of three volumes:
Volume 1 describes the theoretical and methodological underpinnings of the discipline, including an overview of traditional theories; influential contemporary theories; and complex research designs, statistical modeling, and experience sampling, among other topics. The volume presents a lifespan approach to family psychology, recognizing the importance of addressing how families change over time, and it discusses different forms of contemporary families.
Volume 2 focuses on the application of family psychology to an array of mental and physical health conditions, societal issues, and shared systems such as schools and health care.
Volume 3 addresses contemporary couple, family, and parenting interventions grounded in family psychology theory and science, as well as issues related to family psychology training.
The vast scope of the handbook argues that family psychology has evolved to have a major impact not only on the practice of psychology, but also on how researchers in the field investigate the complexities of the human condition.
PsycBOOKS users on APA PsycNET® (including subscribers to APA PsycNET Gold, Gold Plus, and Platinum), EBSCOhost, Ovid and ProQuest can access the entire series by browsing PsycBOOKS or by performing a title search for a particular handbook.
Institutions also have the option of purchasing handbooks individually. Print only, Electronic only, or Electronic + Print options are available through APA, with electronic access provided via the APA PsycNET® platform. For more information on pricing and availability, please see the APA Handbooks in Psychology institutional purchase page or contact us at email@example.com.