It’s Tutorial Thursday! In this series, we explore APA’s library of video tutorials available on the PsycINFO® YouTube channel and the APA Style CENTRAL® YouTube channel. Please feel free to link to or embed our videos in your library websites or LibGuides, course management systems, or other locations where students, faculty, and researchers will find them.
We recently updated one of our tutorials: Using the Author Affiliation Field in PsycINFO on EBSCOhost.
Do you want to discover what institutions are conducting research relevant to a specific topic, or track down a corresponding author’s contact information?
The Author Affiliation field in PsycINFO provides information about authors’ affiliations at the time of publication. This can be helpful to psychology students and practitioners who want to locate an author, see the kind of research conducted at an institution, or are considering where to apply to graduate school based on topics of interest.
This three-minute video demonstrates how to use the PsycINFO® Author Affiliation Field when searching PsycINFO on the EBSCOhost platform, and includes:
- Description and search examples for the PsycINFO Author Affiliation field;
- Using the Source, Authors, and Address fields to help obtain the contact information for a corresponding author; and
- How to search for articles written by authors affiliated with a particular institution.
This tutorial is a great resource to link from a LibGuide or course module for any class working with APA Databases on EBSCOhost, and can be helpful in answering email or chat reference questions.
The previous version of this tutorial will remain available, but if you have embedded or linked to it anywhere, we encourage you to update your materials to link to this new version.
The APA Handbooks in Psychology series was launched in 2011 to provide comprehensive overviews and in-depth study of specific subfields within psychology. All of the Handbooks are included in the PsycBOOKS® database, and titles are also available individually.
The series currently contains 26 authoritative titles, including the 2014 CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title, APA Handbook of Sexuality and Psychology.
The most recent addition to the series, the APA Handbook of Giftedness and Talent, was published in August 2017. It incorporates the most recent thinking and cutting-edge research from a wide range of fields related to gifted education, including developmental and social psychology, the neurosciences, cognitive science, and education.
Earlier this summer, the APA Handbook of Forensic Neuropsychology, was published in July 2017. This handbook covers the scientific and clinical neuropsychological advances and their application in forensic contexts.
PsycBOOKS users on APA PsycNET® (including subscribers to APA PsycNET Gold, Gold Plus, and Platinum), EBSCOhost, Ovid and ProQuest can access the entire series by browsing PsycBOOKS or by performing a title search for a particular handbook.
Institutions also have the option of purchasing handbooks individually. Print only, Electronic only, or Electronic + Print options are available through APA, with electronic access provided via the APA PsycNET® platform. For more information on pricing and availability, please see the APA website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On APA PsycNET®’s Advanced Search page, there are three Search Tools that can help you choose the name of an author, a journal, or a test to add to your search. Author Lookup can search for records in all APA Databases, while Journal Lookup works with PsycINFO® and PsycARTICLES®, and Test Lookup (added in 2017) works with PsycTESTS®.
In August, APA added 4 new APA books to PsycBOOKS®:
- 125 Years of the American Psychological Association, ©2017, edited by Wade E. Pickren and Alexandra Rutherford. ISBN: 978-1-4338-2791-3
- APA Handbook of Giftedness and Talent, ©2017, edited by Steven I. Pfeiffer. ISBN: 978-1-4338-2696-8
- Mindful Sport Performance Enhancement: Mental Training for Athletes and Coaches, ©2017, by Keith A. Kaufman, Carol R. Glass, and Timothy R. Pineau. ISBN: 978-1-4338-2787-5
- A Telepsychology Casebook: Using Technology Ethically and Effectively in Your Professional Practice, ©2017, edited by Linda F. Campbell, Fred Millán, and Jana N. Martin. ISBN: 978-1-4338-2706-9
- Woman’s Embodied Self: Feminist Perspectives on Identity and Image, ©2017, by Joan C. Chrisler and Ingrid Johnston-Robledo. ISBN: 978-1-4338-2712-3
Bibliographic records are available through your PsycBOOKS vendor. You may also download RDA records directly from APA by following the instructions in the APA PsycNET® Administrator Help Menu.
View the past monthly PsycBOOKS update lists, a list of sample PsycBOOKS titles, and the full coverage list for PsycBOOKS.
On July 17, the APA PsycNET platform released a refreshed version that included a new look and feel, as well as a technology upgrade.
We hope this refresh has allowed you to continue your research seamlessly.
The features that you’re used to on APA PsycNET are still there, including:
- Your personal My List, My PsycNET, alerts, and saved searches;
- Thesaurus or Term Finder;
- Cited References search;
- An unchanged search algorithm;
- The same records and full-text as before, with regular weekly updates.
We’ve also added some new tools to assist you, such as related content, a test lookup tool, and additional browse options.
If you would like more information about these new tools, please view our webinar on the APA PsycNET changes.
Or view the slides detailing APA PsycNET’s new additions.